Re: Intel Eeptro100B -- flash update utility

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Gero Kuhlmann wrote:

> Alex Harin <aoh@ucs.co.za> wrote:
> > > That's likely. I suppose that your BIOS requires the bootrom to be compliant
> > > with the BIOS boot specification as published by Phoenix, Compaq and Intel.
> > > However, it should still be able to work with legacy bootroms according to
> > > that specification, but maybe it doesn't. The next netboot release will
> > > be compliant with the BIOS boot specification, so this problem should be
> > > solved then (and yes, you should be able to select network boot from the
> > > BIOS setup then). However, it will take quite some time to finish that next
> > > version.
> > [...]
> > Any pointers where I can find the specification, I really need to get this
> > thing to work.
>
> It's somewhere on developer.intel.com in the /pub/ial subdirectory. Sorry,
> I don't remember the exact path. Try using an FTP search utility and look
> for the file name bbs101.pdf. However, the changes to the bootrom are not
> trivial and you need to recompile everything. I'm almost finished with the
> new bootrom version but still have to adjust the makerom utility. Once I'm
> ready, are you interested in testing the new version?
>
> > It comes with intel boot ROM image as well. I had a look at it with
> > hexdump and debug.exe -- there is lot's of additional header info.
>
> Yup, the headers are part of the BIOS boot specification, which builds
> on the PCI and PnP BIOS specifications. You would probably need those
> as well if you want to understand how everything works.
>
> gero.

Thanks I found it and I've done a quick and dirty fix by adding additional
headers + filling checksum and size in PnP and PCI headers in makerom.
I am not really an assembler expert so the fix looks like a mess. I
will definetly be interested in testing your beta version. But are there
still problems with Intel 82558 packet drivers? -- the reason why I was
using etherboot.

Cheers,

> --
> Hold still while I flame you.
>   - Karl Lehenbauer
> --
> Gero Kuhlmann, Hannover     0511/6497525 (Voice)        gero@gkminix.han.de

  Alex Harin, PhD           Universal Computer Services
  Tel  +27 11 339-6111      PO Box 31266 Braamfontein 2017, South Africa
  Cell +27 82 900-4779      20th Floor, Total House, Smit St, Braamfontein
  Fax  +27 11 339-3421      Johannesburg, South Africa