Re: Bull Netstation

Charlie Brady writes:

 > On Mon, 27 Apr 1998 markus@infoscape.com wrote:
 >
 > > Ken Yap writes:
 > >  > Most people on this Netboot list are not likely to come across this one,
 > >  > but if you see a Netstation made by Bull or 3com and it looks suspiciously
 > >  > like this one, then you may be interested to know it's been made to
 > >  > netboot Linux by Jim Hague. Details at:
 > >  >
 > >  > 	http://www.slug.org.au/etherboot/bull/
 > >
 > > This machine looks very similar in design to the Oracle NCI network
 > > computer.
 >
 > I'm sure there is a very, very big difference in CPU speed...

I believe the Oracle NCI computer that we have here is a Pentium 133
with way too little memory. Don't expect anything too exciting from
it. It would probably help, if it had a small harddrive for swapspace,
but for political reasons Oracle doesn't seem to be too fond of that
idea (or that's what the technician told me). In general, most UNIX
based operating systems work a lot better, if they can page out
infrequently used data.

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-278-0137

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; It does
            not constitute an offical statement by Infoscape!

PGP signature