Re: Etherboot-4.0pre7 broken!

At 09:54 9/04/98 +1000, Ken Yap wrote:
>>>It looks like 4.0pre7 is broken somewhere in the ansi stuff. Here is
>>>the setup :
>>> -DANSIESC -DGFX -MOTD -IMAGEMENU defined in config
>>>tried to make ne.rom
>>>output : romsize of 65536 not big enough for data
>>		^^^^^^^^...
>>
>>No, you get this error when trying to compile on a system without glibc2 and
>>the new gcc, in my case RH4.2.
>>On a Debian 2 system everything works fine, and the romsize becomes 16K.
>
>If somebody has the time, could they see if they can get it to work
>with an older binutils release. I suspect the fix is to not tell ld
>to output binary with -oformat binary, but to generate ELF as normal,
>then add an extra step of objcopy to convert to binary.

It's definitely a problem with older binutils. I tried it last night on my
RH4.2 system, and got (lots of) utterly garbage output from ld.

I'll suggest to Ken when he returns that he should provide an alternate
Makefile/Config.32 for older binutils systems. The ones in etherboot-3.2
should (I think) do fine.
--
Jim Hague - hague@research.canon.com.au(Work),bears@cix.co.uk(Play)
Canon Information Systems Research Australia        +61 2 9805 2854