Re: booting dos/novell/win95 or Linux

On  5 Apr 98 at 22:01, Roland Nagtegaal wrote:

> 2. More importantly: how can I make it so that the client can choose
> at boot time what it will boot: Dos/novell/win95 or Linux/Xwindow ?
> So it really must be able to boot either of them.

Read http://cuiwww.unige.ch/info/pc/remote-boot

Then take into account they used a commercial bootprom. Their software is
excellent; I'm using it at my university. It would be very, very helpful if
Gero could release a kind of netboot API in order to use netboot with the Swiss
project instead of commercial bootprom.

As far as I can see, what would be needed is:

- detection of netboot's presence
- access to BOOTP reply area
- open/read/close TFTP
- disabling netboot and restoring interrupts

All software is in place, making it accessible from external program is needed.

Regards,

Maciek
Computer Center, University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland