Re: problems mounting / via nfs using dhcp

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Vlad Lungu wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >     I'm having problems to mount the root filesystem... I compiled the
> > linux kernel with NFSROOT/BOOTP, and in my dhcpd server this messages is
> > being logged:
> >
> > Mar  3 22:26:26 presuntinho dhcpd: BOOTREQUEST from 0:0:b4:6b:21:8f via
> > eth0
> > Mar  3 22:26:26 presuntinho dhcpd: No applicable record for BOOTP host
> > 0:0:b4:6b:21:8f via eth0
> >
> > Sorry if this is a FAQ, but what's the missing record in the
> > /etc/dhcpd.conf?
> >
> > Just to make things clear: The diskless machine (ok, I'm still using the
> > floppy to test the setup, maybe tomorrow I'll burn my first eprom... ;>)
> > already gets its IP, the server IP and the GW IP, then it successfuly uses
> You're by any chance using dynamic DHCP to acquire the addresses? If so,

   yap, dynamic dhcp...

> beware that the BOOTP code in the kernel is working ONLY with BOOTP. In

    too bad... Can etherboot pass parameters to the kernel loaded via
tftp, telling it to use the x.y.z.b nfs server? IF so we can just disable
bootp in the kernel compilation and use the ip addresses already
discovered by etherboot during the initial dhcp query. OOPS seems that
this is possible, as you stated below! Hurra! Let me try the mknbi-linux
-i rom !!!

> this case, insert a record like
> 	host xyz{
> 		hardware ethernet 00:00:b4:6b:21:8f;
> 		fixed-address x.y.z.q;
> 	}
> in your dhcpd.conf.
> You can also make your image with
> 	mknbi-linux -i rom  .............
> so your kernel uses the data acquired by the bootrom.
> > tftp to get the kernel, boots the kernel and just time out "Sending BOOTP
> > requests......"...

     []s,

Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo      http://www.conectiva.com.br/~acme
Linux i18n evangelizer        http://www.conectiva.com.br/~acme/LDP-br
Curitiba - Parana' - Brasil   R. Prof. Rubens Elke Braga, 558 - Parolin
PAROLIN - Primeira Distribuicao Linux Brasileira http://www.crhl.com.br

   "Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow" - Eric S. Raymond