Re: RFC's relevant to Etherboot and Netboot and tftp packet size

>As for Etherboot, i believe it supports RFC1782 and RFC1783 since
>the distribution of 3.2 includes enhanced tftpd and tftp client
>to take advantage of this extension.
>
>PS. When does the tftp actually do the packet size negotiation with
>    tftpd and how does it know what the maximum packet size allowed
>    by tftpd?  Are all these information embedded in bootptab file
>    that gets sent during bootp replies?

It's sent as an extension packet during the tftp request. I forget
the details. The RFC should explain all.

I should add that I have discovered that in practice, large tftp block
sizes may not save that much time. For example, my Linux kernel loads
in all of 2 seconds and then it takes 20 seconds to get to the console
prompt. So a larger packet size would make little difference overall.