Re: Support for DHCP?

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, dan au wrote:

> > This isn't correct. The version of bootp with DHCP patches responds to
> > DHCP as well as bootp requests. It only supports fixed and automatic IP
> > allocated though.
> >
> > Last time I looked the patched bootpd was more convenient to use if you
> > mixed bootp and DHCP requests from the same box. And DHCP with automatic
> > IP allocation was more convenient than bootp because the bootptab is
> > edited for you automatically :-)
>
> Most substantial-sized networks that I have been involved with benefit
> from static DHCP, that is the client requests its IP but the administrator
> always knows what IP a given ethernet address will get (even if he changes
> it every day, for some obscure reason.) The concept of dynamic DHCP can
> make it extremely difficult to determine what workstation is misbehaving
> (or what workstation a miscreant is using.)

Dan, I'm not sure whether you have understood the distinction between
automatic and dynamic IP allocation. DHCP automatic IP allocation gives
the same IP for a given ethernet address. The difference between that and
traditional bootp is that new MAC addresses get new IP addresses without
the config file needing to be manually edited with the correct values. I
find that quite efficient myself. YMMV.

Charlie Brady - Telstra  |internet: cbrady@ind.tansu.com.au
Network Products         |Snail    : Locked Bag 6581, GPO Sydney 2001 Australia
Platform Technologies    |Physical : Lvl 2, 175 Liverpool St, Sydney 2000
 IN-Sub Unit - Sydney    | Phone: +61 2 9206 3470 Fax: +61 2 9281 1301