Re: Boot Loading Problems.

Gero Kuhlmann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@comm.uni-bremen.de> wrote:
> > On the bootdisk, you must start HIMEM.SYS with "/testmem:off".
> > Otherwise it will kill your ramdisk.
>
> Is this new with 6.22? I'm using 6.0 and don't need this switch. The
> version of my himem.sys is 3.09 (08.02.93). It seems not even to support
> the "/testmem" switch.

Hi Gero,

following is an excerpt  of the mknbi-dos manpage:

"MEMORY MANAGEMENT
       The bootrom loads the image file created by  mknbi-dos  so
       that  the  ramdisk  image  is  placed  at the start of the
       extended memory on the client. When DOS starts, this  mem-
       ory area is not protected in any way against clobbering by
       client programs. But if the ramdisk driver  finds  that  a
       XMS  driver  like HIMEM.SYS gets loaded, it will use it to
       allocate a XMS memory block to protect the ramdisk. Unfor-
       tunately,  HIMEM.SYS,  starting  with version 3.10, does a
       check of extended memory which destroys the ramdisk image.
       You  can  use either a version of HIMEM.SYS prior to 3.10,
       or use the command line option /TESTMEM:OFF."

--

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

E-mail: mailto:rebehn@comm.uni-bremen.de
Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341