Re: bootprom for intel etherexpress PCI100+

William A. Arbaugh writes:

 > Intel has told me that the Pro100B uses the N28F001BX (128K x 8) in a PLCC
                                               ^^^^^^^^^
This should probably read 28F010

 > package.  I have not confirmed this yet, but it looks and sounds correct.
 > I expect to be moving from a boot floppy to a PROM in a few months.  I can
 > post a follow up then.

Check out the PDF datasheet at
ftp://download.intel.com/design/smartdie/flcomp/datashts/29020710.PDF
Apparently, the 28F010 is backwards compatible to the 27xxx series of
EPROMs. This means that you can probably use a 27256 instead, if you
cannot get hold of a 28F010; of course you lose the functionality of
reprogramming it on the fly.

I do not know, whether the NIC allows for switching the Vpp pin
between Vppl and Vpph in software; if it does not do so and constantly
keeps Vpp at high voltage, then you might want to rewire the NIC when
using a 27xxx chip. You probably want to keep that pin at Vcc (or
possibly NC) in order to prevent the 27xxx EPROM from being destroyed.

Once you get your NIC and you have a 28010 plugged into it, you should
try to find out whether the information in the PDF datasheet suffices
for writing a programmer; a superficial examination suggests that the
document might contain all the information you need.

Good luck,

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-537-3778

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; It does
            not constitute an offical statement by Infoscape!

PGP signature