Re: 3C905 and 27C512

Charl Barnard writes:
 > > I have used the 27C512, with only 28 pins!
 > >
 > > Bye.
 > > Jose A. Martinez
 >
 > My question: have you ever found out how he did it ? Did he build some
 > kind of adapter ? Is there some way to use the 28-pin chip directly in the
 > 32-pin socket ?

If you compare pin-outs for the 27c010
(http://www.amd.com/products/nvd/techdocs/10205f2.pdf) and the 27c512
(http://www.amd.com/products/nvd/techdocs/08140h.pdf) or even the
27c256 (http://www.amd.com/products/nvd/techdocs/08007h.pdf), you will
realize that they are very similar. If you are lucky, you might just
get away with plugging a 27c512 or 27c256 into the 32 pin socket. It
all depends on whether pin 30 of the socket is connected to Vcc (+5V);
if that is not the case, soldering a single wire to the connector
should fix your problem. You might have to software-configure your NIC
afterwards.

N.B. I have not tested this myself, but looking at the manual page it
looks like very simple fix.

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-537-3778

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; It does
            not constitute an offical statement by Infoscape!

PGP signature