Re: Problems booting PCI 3C905

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Mon_Jun_16_11:29:28_1997-1

Arne Bernin writes:
 > Booting with a floppy disk, all works fine, the PC is able to load the
 > kernel image ... but with a burned Eprom, the Terminal says : "Insert
 > Bootdisk..."
 > So, i 've got a few Questions. Is there a difference using ISA or PCI-Cards
 > (Our ISA-Cards work quite well), anything i have to change in the code?
 > Our ne2k-Clones use a 28 pol. Eprom, but on the 3C905 there is a socket for
 > a 32 pol. Eprom. May this cause Problems?

What kind of EPROM chip do you use? Is it the same one that the
manufacturer of your network card recommends? Have you used DOS's
"debug" command to verify that the EPROM gets mapped into memory? Is
the network card configured to enable the EPROM. Is the system BIOS
configured to not put cache/shadow RAM into the same location that you
have the EPROM? Usually, it is possible to use a different size EPROM
than the hardware was designed for, but there are a couple of things
to watch out for; you might want to look up the pin schematics and
verify that the 28pin and 32pin chips are truely compatible (you might
have to build an adapter that provides power on a different pin).

I hope, these suggestions are somewhat helpful

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-537-3778

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; It does
            not constitute an offical statement by Infoscape!

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Mon_Jun_16_11:29:28_1997-1

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBM6WGDBqJqDLErwMxAQEDewP/egKaBr2J62dILV1im8fhfEDUgCrIl13q
C5ceQns5OA2T+Bj45gdzsVXjJLkpxInIa9R7uUVV/YMrBcssrCRdToJol4XS2POU
3ulKty77YnaQ8kKpRpUVAh59yhJbISnPTrmhOoyF82KIcaUsmdq9gaBmz1FOaI4W
w2dnRAzeVVg=
=Mjw7
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Mon_Jun_16_11:29:28_1997-1--