Re: Menus during booting

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Tue_Jul__8_09:30:41_1997-1

Ton Biegstraaten writes:
 > .imagemenu:\
 >   :T128=E44574680001:\
 >   :T184="Dit wordt een expiriment":\
 >   :T185="This is an expiriment":\
 >   :T160="timeout=30:default=207:":\
 >   :T192="Linux:::\tftpboot\onnoboot.img::0i1p":\
 >   :T193="MsDos:::\tftpboot\msboot.img::0i":\
 >   :T193="Linus_slw:::\tftpboot\lnxboot.img::0i":\
 >   :T207="Local Disk:::/dev/hda0":
 > dutipw:tc=.imagemenu:\
 >   :vm=auto:ht=ethernet:\
 >   :ha=0000C01557A1:
 >
 > According to the manual the bf-field is overrules by the menu, but I
 > don't see a menu, I only see the first line(T184) and messages about not
 > being able to load /kernel. Inserting a bf, just boots that file.
 > Sometimes I see a message about Tag 160 being illegal. Removing that
 > doesn't help. I changed T128 with the last byte 0, but using both
 > netboot and etherboot and from both the floppy and rom version won't
 > make any difference. The Makefiles tell me MENU is on.

While I cannot tell for certain without taking a look at your exact
configuration, I suspect that you run into the problem of not using
extension files. The BOOTP protocol offers only limited space for
sending a response; if you need to send more (and that is usually the
case when using a boot menu), then the extra data will have to be
stored in an extension file. When the BOOT-Prom sees the "ef=" flag,
it uses this filename to retrieve all the additional data via
TFTP. The file "README.VendorTags" in the "etherboot" distribution
contains an example. You can also look it up at
http://www.syd.dit.csiro.au/staff/ken/personal/etherboot/doc/html/vendortags.html

You will probably have to read the documentation for your "bootpd"
daemon before you can successfully use this feature. You need to run
"bootpex" each time that you change the "/etc/bootptab" and you might
have to do some trick with "chroot" if you decided to run "tftpd" in a
"chroot"'ed environment (which is a good idea due to security
considerations).

While it is sometimes possible to share a single extension file for
all of your clients, you should probably start out with seperate files
for each client. Only after you know that this works and that all of
these files are 100% identical, should you switch to using a single
file.

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-537-3778

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; It does
            not constitute an offical statement by Infoscape!

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Tue_Jul__8_09:30:41_1997-1

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBM8JrNBqJqDLErwMxAQGwTAP6AhLYu5u5aRPkxBdXZsOpvXEXh/pQ5eIV
dxeZk082mwPPopDAQe0yvYSoBt70DT+UIUwIv5VBk2bX50pp9NQcW0KiLmNdTfnX
MIpAC2KVYiX6QsV2KrY2bhuAbRvT2ATklELA7MbvkonVdYJ1EycQC3lIgyTFmpxf
DyY49aU9qVM=
=j6M+
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Tue_Jul__8_09:30:41_1997-1--