Re: ROM image on harddisk?

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Thu_Jul__3_10:55:13_1997-1

Simeon Walker writes:
 >   I am about to use netboot to load an NFS based Linux installation
 > which will be used maintain Windows 95 installed on the clients
 > hard disk. At the moment I have everything working using the floppy
 > disk version of the ROM image.
 >   Before I make an actual set of boot ROMs I wondered if anyone knew
 > how to make a harddisk eqivalent of the floppy disk image of the boot
 > ROM? This way I could put the file in a small partition on the hard
 > disk and set it active.

If you use "etherboot", this is a very easy task. There is a program
called "masquerade" that you find in the "contrib" directory. It turns
a BOOT Prom image into an image that looks like a Linux kernel. This
image can then be loaded by a standard bootloader (such as Linux). I
do not know, if the "masquerading" code has ever been ported to
"netboot".

Another approach is having a very simple boot EPROM that then loads
the final more sophisticated BOOT Prom image. Check into the
"contrib/bootblk" directory that comes with "etherboot". This approach
takes slightly longer to boot, but it is more conveniently
upgradeable. If you decide to go with it, then you should also read
"doc/README.VendorTags" which gives some other important details.

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-537-3778

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; It does
            not constitute an offical statement by Infoscape!

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Thu_Jul__3_10:55:13_1997-1

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBM7vngRqJqDLErwMxAQG7BAP/Rxy7r0zVqd1ZOplCTNAkAdED/TBVBVER
60ElaJZ/Qvd+QyuaXxiwsg0Sbu15iHKHfgl1CWfDgklE/vZvSi8soloRNq0zk/AF
b0g0REhw4W6xtXoQHQDOn1BBTOpJvpr7rqYAF7cJy1LNZjPoY+QzqofL9KdKd3uI
Ax3kFO8dhr0=
=JCh3
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Thu_Jul__3_10:55:13_1997-1--