Re: etherboot/etc...

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Tue_Jul__1_09:48:51_1997-1

Jason Brinsley Lee writes:
 > The problem is the loading of the configuration file that I specify
 > using the bootp bf= setting.
 >
 > If bf= points to a configuration file, the client just continually
 > reloads the same configuration file. Whereas if bf= points to a linux
 > kernal the client correctly recorrectly recognises it as such at loads
 > it up.

Etherboot will only parse configuration files, if support for this
feature has explicitly been enabled at compile-time. Configuration
files used to be a good concept in the early days of etherboot, but by
now, tagged image files are a lot more powerful. You need to run
mknbi-linux to create tagged image files from kernel images.

 > The problem isn't the contents of the configuration file as I've
 > reduced it to just "help" with no luck.
 >
 > Also, It doesn't want to find a cfg.<IP-number> as the documentation
 > suggests???

This is yet another feature that can be enabled at compile time. I do
not remember what the default settings are, but I suspect that you
need to enable this code, if you really want to use it. Usually, I
guess it makes more sense to retrieve the image name from the bg= tag.

 > Presumably I'm doing something wrong.
 >
 > (Please forgive my cluelessness) (I'm wanting to make use of
 > http://sorry.vse.cz/dimension/rdos/dxt, Diskless-Xwin-Toolkit)

Have you checked out the etherboot homepage at
http://www.syd.dit.csiro.au/staff/ken/personal/etherboot/index.html
and the netboot homepage at http://www.han.de/~gero/netboot.html

Good luck,

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-537-3778

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; It does
            not constitute an offical statement by Infoscape!

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Tue_Jul__1_09:48:51_1997-1

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBM7k0+xqJqDLErwMxAQG+VAP/acci/PAK/jepjhljrC2CsZfvlK4mBCRD
5v28EXYWV0ajuAS0NkbjUEKditTC3+mr7vE7VjsW3vvEZZZZU8g3v0mOCUw3Pifq
uPS4H4WG1TAXFxJvXusaV9sulPqNZdW5ZhfYRZJP1Tl965G7wr6cLrATDnQpJI47
YvP67PJeWp0=
=1UhD
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Tue_Jul__1_09:48:51_1997-1--