Re: problem using netboot and root nfs

Hello,

Bruce Janson <bruce@staff.cs.su.oz.au> wrote:
>     Your list above could form the basis of a handy FAQ

Well, the PROBLEMS file in netboot is intended to serve as a FAQ in case
problems occur. You can find a copy of this file on the netboot web page.
Assuming your permission I included this indeed excellent list into the
file.

>     Indeed, there might be a niche here for a new Linux distribution
> (Slackware, Debian, Redhat, et al take note! :-)) that caters
> specifically for `departmental' users...

Someone already started working on this (H.P. Heidinger). He wrote a setup
program for diskless clients using Tcl/TK. I have his sources available.
This is still extremely, very alpha and not for public use. Unfortunately I
never heard of this guy again, so I don't think he is continuing the work.
If someone is interested in the sources please let me know. The copyright
notice doesn't restrict the redistribution of this source. It might serve
as a basis for such a distribution.

gero.

--
NFS is commonly said to stand for "No File Security", justifiably so.
  - Henry Spencer