Re: alternate server

>On Sat, 23 May 1998, Renzo Alejandro Granados wrote:
>
>> Yes, it exists, it is called high availability and
>> the docs are in
>> http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/ALPHA/linux-ha/High-Availability-HOWTO.html
>
>The project is not available anymore according to the author. Is there any
>other possibility? The best thing I could do is to do alternate nfs
>server. I could mount from one server and then umount and mount from
>different nfs server but /usr seem to be a problem. It keep saying /usr
>is already mounted according to /etc/mtab. How about boot server? I think
>it is good to have that kind of system so that you would not have to
>depend on just one server. Thanks
>Azmi

That's probably because you are running some programs off /usr, maybe
the X applications in /usr/X11R6?

You may need to look at other network filesystems or some way of getting
a backup server to take over at the primary's IP address and then sending
out an ARP packet to refresh the caches on the clients. I think this
is explained in some detail in that HOWTO. This problem is starting to
move into high availability distributed filesystems and so the problem
is not netbooting specific anymore.