Re: etherboot: trouble w/ bootp

>i followed the docs verbatim, but just can't get it to work. tcpdump -i
>eth0 reports no activity; ifconfig eth0 (rx) tells me the requests are not
>reaching the server. i've checked whether bootpd and tftpd are running and
>they do appear to be:
>
>below is a brief-in of what i've done.
>
>1. compiled the kernel for client
>2. cat ../floppyload.bin 3c509.lzrom > /dev/fd0
>3. created the /tftpboot and /tftpboot/192.168.2.2 directories
>4. executed the nfsrootinit script
>5. commented out these lines in /etc/inetd.conf

Check your 509 card. No point continuing with the server configuration
until you can get packets coming out of the client. If the NIC has more
than one interface, check that you activated the right one with the
config program. Do you know if the card is good? There's a diagnostic
utility on 3com's config disk.  Try running it with a DOS Packet Driver
and say NCSA telnet. Some of the 509s I have picked up at markets had
zapped 10B2 ports, probably static. Luckily I have media converters...