Re: Problems with etherboot and Boot prompt.

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Heinrich Rebehn wrote:

> Charlie Brady wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I have this problem now. DOS boots fine if I select N (normal boot
> > from HD). Win95 hangs however. I have no idea what is different about the
> > way that Win95 boots, but there is a difference. Does anyone have any
> > ideas?
> >
> > I am using the 32bit compile of etherboot-4.0, BTW.
>
> I have a similar problem using a netboot-0-7.3 eprom on a 3c905-TX. DOS
> and NT boot fine if i choose local boot, but WIN95 hangs for some
> minutes and then resets the PC. I *think* i have read somewhere that
> WIN95 doesn't like fully initialized NICs when booting??

I don't think this can be the answer, at least not for etherboot. I don't
think that etherboot touches the NIC at all if you choose not to boot from
the network. I wonder what it is doing in its exit() code that upsets
Win95. Any other ideas?

BTW, I've never left it for minutes so I don't know if it ever comes out
of the apparent hang.

Charlie Brady - Telstra  |internet: cbrady@ind.tansu.com.au
Network Products         |Snail    : Locked Bag 6581, GPO Sydney 2001 Australia
Platform Technologies    |Physical : Lvl 2, 175 Liverpool St, Sydney 2000
 IN-Sub Unit - Sydney    | Phone: +61 2 9206 3470 Fax: +61 2 9281 1301