Re: Netboot Windows 95 info

jyhshing@cat.syr.edu (Jyh-shing) writes:

> Hi,
>
> Where can I find information to setup a few netboot Windows 95
> PCs using a Linux server ?

There are very useful informations on

	http://WWW.Katedral.SE/system/elevsyst

but they mostly deal with reproducing some SMS functionality,-
installing preconfigured Win95 systems on a local hard disk to reduce
maintenance costs ("Hello,- service? My workstation is broken..." "OK,
select 'A' from the boot menu for an automatic reinstall"). This
concept is based on a commercial bootprom, not net- or etherboot, but
can be done with these also, I'm sure.
   There are two ways to boot W95 entirely over the net with either
Netware or NT/Netbios. I read a report about half a year ago from
someone who managed the Netware-way with mars-nwe, the Linux Netware
server. Search the archive of this list on

	http://www.han.de/~gero/netboot/

Currently I'm trying another approach I heard about from a friend:
Make a rescue-disk and install some real-mode network stack onto
it. He uses XFS/NFS, but I think it can be done with LanManger also...
   If there is interest I'll write a report how far I got.  There is
little use of all this, I believe,- either close to nothing to share
between individual workstations (how do you make the registry entries
for new installed software in each image? How to copy the "local"
*.ini-files and all that to them?) Or a lot of hand work. But then, I
forgot a lot of Katedral's infos. They had a batch registry editor for
this kind of rubbish...