Re: 3C905C-TX-M Support?

On 6/19/2001 12:03 PM David Coulthart davec@columbia.edu wrote:
>Unfortunately, however, after I use cromutil to burn the image into the
>AT49BV512 chip on my 3C905C-TX-M and reboot the machine, it appears as
>though the PROM is completely bypassed when the machine boots up b/c the
>machine automatically boots off the hard drive (after checking the floppy
>due to the boot sequence).  When looking at the boot sequence in the BIOS
>there is no mention of the netboot image on the PROM.

There were significant changes to the startup code in Etherboot between
4.6.12 and 5.x to make it work with recent BIOSes.  Remember that
Etherboot is a BIOS extension (as is Netboot) and must follow protocols
if it is to be recognized.

>If you could help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated,
>because although I have the Etherboot menu working, it would require a bit
>of work to get the menu to meet my needs & would prefer to use the mgl
>menu that was created for our older machines.

This would probably require a modification to the startup code in
Netboot, which I'm not as familiar with as Etherboot.  Perhaps one of the
Netboot maintainers can help you.  The code required could likely be
taken from the latest Etherboot release.

I hope this is of some help.

Marty

---
    Try: http://rom-o-matic.net/ to make Etherboot images instantly.

   Name: Marty Connor
US Mail: Entity Cyber, Inc.; P.O. Box 391827; Cambridge, MA 02139; USA
  Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046
  Email: mdc@thinguin.org
    Web: http://www.thinguin.org/