Re: boot hangs after mounting nfs root but only with eprom not with floppy

Am Donnerstag, 18. Januar 2001 16:26 schrieb Rainer Schoenen:
>My root filesystem is a SuSE 7.0 minimal system (installed into directory
> /tftpboot/thin1). Unfortunately the minimum possible system takes 140MB
>(does anybody know how to create a much lighter system ?)

Hi,
I once had a SuSE 6.1 stripped down to something like ~50 MB, you can have a
list of the packages I used if you want to (You can leave some packages which
are normally on the base system out, like all the stuff for dealing with
manpages etc). But if you want to have a really small solution, I suggest to
have a look at http://www.ltsp.org, although this might only help with the
size and not with your problem.

>Does anybody have a hint what this can be (only with Eprom, not with floppy)
> ?

Only a stupid question, and probably you have checked it already:
Do you rellay get the same kernel image in both cases? Do you use the same
NIC in both cases? If not, you might actually get different kernels (depends
on the dhcp setup) with eprom and floppy.

>Can it be that the kernel must be told to exclude a memory area where the
> ROM is located ?

I think you could check this if you put an eprom on the card and manage to
boot nevertheless from floppy.

Georg