Re: [Etherboot-users] Re: A Request - Next Server 0.0.0.0

Interestingly,

As soon as I switched the client to bootp, it worked fine with Windows2000
for both bootp and tftp.

As to your "(why would we??)" question - simple.  Many MANY corporate
environments are running NT and going to Win2000.  Many others are currently
running Netware.  The lure of a global directory for a company running NT
makes Win2000 a holy grail.  For better or for worse, all these wonderful
projects like Etherboot and Netboot should be integrated and tested with
Win2000 as well as Linux.  If you only make it work with Linux, it will
remain an academic curiosity.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE Linux - I've been using it since 1994.  But I
can't ignore M$.  I have a client who has a cluster of HP9000s in
Switzerland, a worldwide WAN, and a Windows2000 Active Directory that spans
the globe.  Now that I have etherboot working with Windows 2000 and
bootp/tftp, I can propose to them several hundred diskless Linux terminals
that provide access to the HP9000 cluster.  They already use Windows2000
DHCP and TFTP for RIS support for their Windows2000 Workstations, so adding
Linux/Etherboot support into that existing setup will be a snap!

And THAT is why this netboot stuff is so much fun!