Re: startup services

werewitch@whoever.com wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am setting up a diskless client . This setup is my first experience with
> linux. So please keep that in mind while reading the following. I am using RH
> 6.2. For the client I am mounting only /clients/node1
> and /home as read-write. All files needed for booting are not linked to those
> needed by the server.
> I have checked archives concerning the following problems but to no avail.
> These are the error messages on the client console:
>
> 1) chgrp: 'utmp' is an invalid group name
> why am I getting this when my /etc/group contains utmp.
> (this occurs when chgrp tmp /var/run/utmp /var/log/wtmp is executed in
> rc.sysinit)
>
> 2) /etc/rc.sysinit: /boot/kernel.h file or directory not found ( I am getting
> this because I am using a floppy to boot and there is no boot directory in
> the client root filesystem being mounted from the server.
> How crucial is this can I comment out the part that needs this file in
> rc.sysinit? )
>
> 3)when rc runs the startscripts in rc3.d it gives the following errors:
> Starting atd: lockd: cannot monitor 192.168.1.1
> lockd: failed to monitor 192.168.1.1    [OK]
> (but then it stops as shown by the status command which i used in the rc
> script for debugging purpose)

> Starting sendmail:
> lockd: cannot monitor 192.168.1.1
> lockd: failed to monitor 192.168.1.1
> (btw sendmail gives status running )
> httpd runs but then gives a stream of the above lockd messages then i get
> NFS: cannot silly-delete .nfs[lots of digits] after xfs script is executed
> and at the same time I get the following on the server:
> fh_verify: httpd/error_log permission failure, acc=2, error=13
> fh_verify: httpd/error_log permission failure, acc=2, error=13
> fh_verify: httpd/error_log permission failure, acc=2, error=13
> fh_verify: httpd/error_log permission failure, acc=2, error=13
> fh_verify: httpd/error_log permission failure, acc=2, error=13
> fh_verify: httpd/error_log permission failure, acc=2, error=13
> fh_verify: httpd/error_log permission failure, acc=2, error=13
> fh_verify: httpd/error_log permission failure, acc=2, error=13
> fh_verify: httpd/error_log permission failure, acc=2, error=13
> fh_verify: var/lock permission failure, acc=13, error=13
> ( my kernel is 2.2.14-5.0 and I have read a couple of posts about this bug
> related to silly-delete but I am not sure if this is because of the bug or
> because of some lock. If it is a bug can you please tell me where
> to get the patch and how to install it keeping
> in mind that /clients/node1 is the root for the client. )
>
> 4) X Font Server is started displays [OK] but then the status says xfs dead
> but subsys locked .
> After startscript for linuxconf is executed i get an endless stream of
> lockd: cannot monitor ip
> lockd: failed to monitor ip
> and thats it no login prompt either.

> [...]
Doublecheck that you have root=host (solaris) or no_root_squash (linux)
set on your NFS server - that can always cause problems.  In general,
you need all the directories, including /boot, that are a part of the
system, but /usr can be mounted as read-only.  As above, you have to
allow root to write to the nfs mounts, (this is disabled by default,
which makes sense when you look at how NFS behaves).

The fstab for my clients look like this:

bootsrv:/dsk01/linux/client      /       nfs
rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr 0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
bootsrv:/dsk01/linux/usr        /usr    nfs
rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr 0 0

Where client is the name of the netbooting client.  The server shares
/dsk01/linux/usr as read-only.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone had success netbooting with the
brand-spankin' new 2.4.0 kernel?

Crispin

--
Complexity Happens...