startup services

Hi

I am setting up a diskless client . This setup is my first experience with linux. So please keep that in mind while reading the following. I am using RH 6.2. For the client I am mounting only /clients/node1
and /home as read-write. All files needed for booting are not linked to those needed by the server.
I have checked archives concerning the following problems but to no avail. These are the error messages on the client console:

1) chgrp: 'utmp' is an invalid group name
why am I getting this when my /etc/group contains utmp.
(this occurs when chgrp tmp /var/run/utmp /var/log/wtmp is executed in rc.sysinit)

2) /etc/rc.sysinit: /boot/kernel.h file or directory not found ( I am getting this because I am using a floppy to boot and there is no boot directory in the client root filesystem being mounted from the server.
How crucial is this can I comment out the part that needs this file in rc.sysinit? )

3)when rc runs the startscripts in rc3.d it gives the following errors:
Starting atd: lockd: cannot monitor 192.168.1.1
lockd: failed to monitor 192.168.1.1    [OK]
(but then it stops as shown by the status command which i used in the rc script for debugging purpose)

Starting sendmail:
lockd: cannot monitor 192.168.1.1
lockd: failed to monitor 192.168.1.1
(btw sendmail gives status running )
httpd runs but then gives a stream of the above lockd messages then i get
NFS: cannot silly-delete .nfs[lots of digits] after xfs script is executed and at the same time I get the following on the server:
fh_verify: httpd/error_log permission failure, acc=2, error=13
fh_verify: httpd/error_log permission failure, acc=2, error=13
fh_verify: httpd/error_log permission failure, acc=2, error=13
fh_verify: httpd/error_log permission failure, acc=2, error=13
fh_verify: httpd/error_log permission failure, acc=2, error=13
fh_verify: httpd/error_log permission failure, acc=2, error=13
fh_verify: httpd/error_log permission failure, acc=2, error=13
fh_verify: httpd/error_log permission failure, acc=2, error=13
fh_verify: httpd/error_log permission failure, acc=2, error=13
fh_verify: var/lock permission failure, acc=13, error=13
( my kernel is 2.2.14-5.0 and I have read a couple of posts about this bug related to silly-delete but I am not sure if this is because of the bug or because of some lock. If it is a bug can you please tell me where
to get the patch and how to install it keeping
in mind that /clients/node1 is the root for the client. )

4) X Font Server is started displays [OK] but then the status says xfs dead but subsys locked .
After startscript for linuxconf is executed i get an endless stream of
lockd: cannot monitor ip
lockd: failed to monitor ip
and thats it no login prompt either.

5) I'd like to know which of the startup scripts do I absolutely have to run.

6) Most of these scripts invoke services for which binaries are in /usr/sbin or /usr/bin . A lot of howtos on the net do not mount /usr at all. How then are these services invoked.

I have been working on the above set of problems for more than a week with zero progress and am quite desperate. Please do reply.

Thanx