Re: Boot ROM (fwd)

Rudhuwan Abu Bakar wrote:
> here is the source code of the NIC with rtl8139c.

[ As a comment to the list, which I added back to the recipient list, the
attachment of this private e-mail was a Linux driver for the "MyEC710-TX" ]

A closer inspection (doing a diff compared to the current RTL8139 driver from
Don Becker - BTW: does anyone on the list have a 1.09 version of Don Becker's
RTL8139 driver lying around?) turned out that the only change to the stock
driver is a different PCI device id of the cards (vendor ID is Realtek, but
device ID is different) and possibly - couldn't check that because I don't have
the driver version matching - a slight change in the media detection code.

So it seems some clown is starting the same mess as with the tulip chip.
People never learn.

Obviously the maker of the card changed the device ID setting in the EEPROM
from the default one for unknown reasons.  This makes the card incompatible
with the stock RTL8139 drivers, because the RTL8139 chip uses the configuration
values from EEPROM if they are present.

BTW: I personally doubt that the person who changed the 20 lines to make the
MyEC710-TX driver was actually Don Becker.  Probably someone is just being
clever and has the bug reports for a non-supported hacked up and outdated driver
be sent to Don Becker, who cannot do anything about them.

Rudhuwan: a quick test if I'm right would be to edit rtl8139.c in the src
directory of the Etherboot distribution, replacing the identifier
PCI_DEVICE_ID_REALTEK_8139 by the constant 0x16a2.

Cheers to the engineers at Mysem for this really incredible achievement.
They even quote Realtek's RTL8139 feature list incorrectly.

Klaus