RE: Problems using VendorTags in /etc/bootptab

Hi James, just looking at this list for the first time... Do know of anyone
that has used a Novell server/Linux client(diskless) setup?  Is it similar
to Linux server/Linux client?

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris Mitchell

I've been booting diskless Linux boxes via etherboot/netboot/bootp
successfully for some time. However, I've been experimenting with using
Vendortags to pass arguments to the kernel.

This almost works fine, except that the loaded kernel wants to mount
"/tftpboot/ip_address_of_diskless_client" as the root partition - i.e.
it ignores the "rp=" tag in /etc/bootptab (the "rp=" tag works fine when
not using the Vendortags).

I'm not using the most up to date versions of etherboot (v4.2) and
bootpd (v2.4).

Would more recent versions of either/both these packages fix this
problem? Or am I missing something?

Thanks

James Pearson