Re: SMC wd8013 Ethernet cards and EEPROMs

On 28 May 2000 ken@nlc.net.au wrote:

> First of all, it's not an EEPROM you want. EEPROMs are reprogrammable
> without UV erasure. The 8013s take EPROMs.

	That's a good place to start.

> Secondly, there were many models of 8013s but AFAIK the largest EPROM
> possible is 32kB (27C256). If it uses a jumper, then it's really old.
> 16kB EPROMs should always work, and 32kB on the newer jumperless NICs,
> or in older NICs if you put the image in the correct half of the EPROM.
> Which half? It depends on whether the highest address line is tied high
> or low so I don't know.

	Any advice or part numbers regarding 16k EPROMs? Most of the
ones I've found on Digikey seem fairly slow (120ns); is this a problem,
or will the older card also be somewhat slow? Any pther useful sites
selling older chips?

> Might be worth reading the hardware debugging notes in the documentation
> if you haven't already.

	I did read this, and tried the rom-scan utility, but the output
was a bit terse. It reads:

"Found ROM header at D000:000; announces 16k image (27C128 EPROM)"

	Thanks for your help,
--
        Gustav               http://users.dhp.com/~gustav/pgp.html
    Key fingerprint = 84 88 E8 E1 1F 30 55 1E  8B D8 65 0E C2 09 46 E8