Large RamDisk Support

Hi,

I have been using the mknbi utitily to create a kernel + ramdisk nbi for a
diskless machine I'm working on. Are there any limitations on the size of
the ramdisk that can be used ?

I need Kernel + 64 MByte Ramdisk

This works ok with a sparsly populated filesystem i.e compressed size around
the 10MByte mark, but fails with the compressed size at around the 15 MByte
mark  - fails with kernel panic (unable to mount root) or sometimes fails to
move ramdisk

I have tried various combinations with the --append=ramdisk_size option,
however AFAIK the kernel seems to create ramdisks according to the argument
every time. The problem seems to be related to the size of the compressed
file system rather than the uncompressed size, is there any limitation for
this ?

I'm using mknbi 1.0 from etherboot 4.6.1, with RH 6.0 at 2.2.5-15, could the
kernel be failing to decompress large ramdisk images correctly or is the
ramdisk not being downloaded correctly ?

I'm still getting to grips with the etherboot software so apologies if this
is an old one.

Cheers

John

John.McLean@d-tacq.co.uk