Re: Etherboot in Award Bios

Klaus Espenlaub wrote:

> Klaus Muth wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> > I tried it today:
> > 1. take bios chip (winbond W29C020C) out
> > 2. read the bios on my eprommer
> > 3. modify bios with cbrom124.exe:
> >    cbrom award31.bin /isa rtl8139.rom D000:0
> >    (the rtl8139 rom is from etherboot 4.4.0, working on most of my dikless
> >    clients)
> > 4. write it to another Chip (27F020)
> > 5. put it to an igel-J terminal
> > 6. power on
> > 7. Sounds like booooop-bopbop *pause* dee-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee (and so on).
> [...] But something else might cause trouble: the 27F020 is a 12V
> Flash Chip (at least it used to be - only the 29.... parts are 5V programmable).
> This is lethal for modern boards, which assume they can store the PCI
> configuration in the Flash chip.  So it might check the Flash type at boot
> time. [...]

I forgot to mention steps 2a to 2c (ok, I think, You see my paranoia... good to
have backup, better check the hardware first with a working setup):
2a. burn original bios on 27F020
2b. insert 27F020
2c. boot to verify, that 27F020 is working on this board: YEP! It does

> A quick check by flashing the original chip (with the modified ROM image)
> should show if my stab in the dark is correct.  But don't forget to keep a
> backup copy of the original content in some easily accessible place.
I preferred my test ;). Leave the original chip alone, this is my backup. ;)

klaus
--
HAGOS eG                 Industriestr. 62       fon: (+49) 711 78805-86
EDV-Programmierung       D-70565 Stuttgart      fax: (+49) 711 78805-99