Re: Etherboot/BSD Netboot root_path tag handling

Klaus Espenlaub wrote:

> Currently the root_path vendor tag (id 17) is basically ignored using
> mknbi-linux.  The assembler code dealing with the root filesystem path
> only looks at the tag if no boot file name is known - a case that will
> never happen at least with Etherboot.  So generally you'll end up with the
> dirname of the boot file.
>
> The Linux Terminal Server Project already ran into this but worked around
> by using the -d switch to set the root directory name inside the nbi image.
> However this should be just a temporary hack in my opinion.
>
> Any votes against a small patch to the first.S file that reverses the order
> of things - first the DHCP/BOOTP tag, then the boot file dirname?

A very democratic process! As with any democracy, the folk being asked to
make the decision are seldom able to think through the issues and need to
have the thinking done for them. In this case, to save me some time, can you
please spell out the implications (positive and negative) of swapping the
order of parsing these tags? Namely, what is going to break in existing
setups?

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.