Please Help: Root-NFS: No NFS Server

Hello kind list,

I'm still trying to get a linux box to work as a diskless client, but
cannot get the root file system to mount over nfs.

No matter what options I give to mknbi I always receive the following.

......kernel boot msgs.......

IP-Config: No network devices available     <--- is this correct?

......a few more kernel messages........

Looking up port of RPC 100003/2 on 192.168.30.3
RPC: sendmsg returned error 101

.....repeated..... and eventually I get

Root-NFS Server returned error -5 while mounting
/tftpboot/192.168.30.71  -- and the nfs server never records anything in
the logs. Indeed nothing is ever sent from the DC.

The DC has an SMC 1211 100Mbit card, and I have enabled the kernel for
any and all WD and SMC cards.

I'll stop here. Does the following mean my compiled ethernet driver is
not being recognized by the kernel?

IP-Config: No network devices available

For what it is worth, I'm using etherboot-4.5.7 which includes
netboot-0.8.1 on a RH 6.1 machine. When I do ./configure and then make
within the netboot-0.8.1 directory I get a number of errors about not
finding stddef.h and then a number of error: need ';'. I've tried sym
linking the needed sttdef.h to
/usr/src/linux-2.2.13/include/linux/stddef.h, but still receive errors
about need ';'.

gcc -v = egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

However, if I cd into mknbi-linux, I can run make w/o errors and a mknbi
executeable is created. I can then use mknbi to create a tagged image
without errors, and the tagged image does load via tftp - to the point
of mounting nfs-root that is.

Many Thanks, Eric