Re: Almost there!

Have you compiled in the ethernet card type you use ? (And not as
module).
The /tftpboot/machine/etc/fstab is in this situation not used, yet.
Do you have activated the IP Autoconfig with the BOOTP option in the
kernel configuration, so the kernel is able to konw his correct
network setup, which is independent defined from the netboot. What
I mean, is that netboot use BOOTP to setup it's IP setup (address,
submask, etc..), then it loads the kernel into memory and netboot
tells the kernel, that the Root-FS is NFS on /tftpboot/machine
(you have compiled in NFS-ROOT support in the kernel ?).
Then the kernel execution is started. The kernel has its own ethernet
driver, its own IP stack, etc, so the kernel has to start again with the
network initialization. So the kernel also does a BOOTP request to
setup the IP parameter and try to mount the root file system.

And after the ROOT-FS is mounted, all files in /tftpboot/machine
gain interest. You said you edited the /tftpboot/.../etc/fstab.
Don't forget to edit the IP settings in ..../etc/sysconfig/network and
network-script (this is true for RedHat, on other distribution the
IP setup is else where !!)

An important hint to the NFS server setup:
	in /etc/exports
	Don't forget the keyword (option) no_root_squash
	otherwise the system (running as root) has the problem
	in mounting the tree ! (IMPORTANT !)

I hope that helps

	C. Plattner