Almost there!

I have been following the various HOW-TOs and other advice on the diskless
workstation and have been able to make considerable progress thanks to all
those who have contributed.

However, I've run into a stumbling block. Probably something simple that I
overlooked. When I boot, I eventually get down to:

mount: server w.x.y.z not responding, timed out
Root-NFS: Server returned error while mounting /tftpboot/machine
VFS: Unable to mount fs via NFS, trying floppy

I think I'be checked and double checked:
   /etc/fstab
   /etc/hosts.allow
   /etc/hosts.deny
   /tftpboot/machine/etc/fstab