Re: USB NICs

Ken Yap writes:

| Apparently they are starting to be supported in Linux kernel 2.3.
| Anybody played with these? I just wonder what would be needed to support
| network booting with USB NICs.

Ugly ... what I've seen with USB and worked with it so far is that
it is a large stack to drive.  PCMCIA is a joke in comparison since
once you get the controller setup you are just doing normal I/O.
USB is nothing like that.  Also there are two types of controllers.

I like USB, in that it doesn't eat interrupts for each device.  Devices
can be smart.  It frees up pccard slots on my laptop.

BTW FreeBSD 4.0 release candidate supports 99% of all USB Ethernet adapters.

Doug A.