Re: lc82c196b (puredata pdp8023u) problems

On 1/29/2000 6:59 PM Michael Rendell michael@cs.mun.ca wrote:
>  I'm trying to get a etherboot rom working on a puredata pdp8023u without
>much success so far.  The board has a lc82c196b chip and the vendor/device id
>reported on the pci bus is 0x11ad/0x0002.  Have done the obvious: ran
>make lc82c168.rom (which passes the correct -p value to makerom), but
>when burned in a NM27C256 (150ns) it does nothing (no indication that the
>rom is seen).  The floppy version works fine (detects card, down loads
>os, etc.). Has anyone had success with this card (or the lc82c196b)?  If so,
>what type of rom was used?  Is there something I'm missing here?

Hello Michael,

If case you haven't seen it, there is some valuable information on rom
creation at the following URL:

   http://www.slug.org.au/etherboot/doc/html/README-6.html#ss6.2

I also suggest you download the puredata 8023 diag program for the card,
which as far as I can tell is here:

   http://www.puredata.com/pub/puredata/pm8023.exe

or this may be more current:

   ftp://www.puredata.com/pub/puredata/pdp8023u.zip

The LC82C196B on your puredata card is the same chip used on the Netgear
FA310TX, I believe. I have never burned a ROM for the card, because
Netgear neglected to solder a socket on the card (the holes are there,
and it has been reported that one can attach a ROM).  The fact floppy
you need to do this explicitly in the diag program.  Most PCI cards I
have used do not require this, but it is certainly quite possible.

I just extracted files from the diag disk, and note that there is a
parameter file called "@650B.adf" which suggests that under normal
circumstances the BIOS ROM is disabled.  Running the diag program may
allow you to enable the ROM.  It appears the program DIAG8023.EXE allows
setting of various parameters.

I hope this is of some help to you.  Please let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Marty

---
   Name: Martin D. Connor
US Mail: Entity Cyber, Inc.; P.O. Box 391827; Cambridge, MA 02139; USA
  Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046
  Email: mdc@thinguin.org
    Web: http://www.thinguin.org/