Re: Multiple Clients

Ken Yap wrote:

> >Is there a plan to run apps locally?Or is it more appropriate to run apps
> >at the server?Just curious
>
> There are pros and cons. With apps at the server, user authentication
> can be concentrated at the server, the client memory demands are more
> predictable, you can use lower-powered clients, CPU load is averaged
> across users, e.g. some users may be reading Web pages while others
> fetching, but on the minus side you need to beef up the server and users
> may overload a server.  With apps at the client you can share some
> of the computation, but you have to worry about user authentication,
> memory allocation, etc.
There are several ways to centralize user authentification on a server:
e.g. good old kerberos. I'm trying to do authentification with openLDAP
and the corresponding PAM module, there is no reason, why this shouldn't
work.
As to the client system requirements: Today's hardware is cheap as hell.
There are reasonable systems for less than 500$, should be cheaper, if
you rip all all disks.

> I think it's worth developing both approaches so that implementors can
> have the flexibility.
Ok. Right ;).

klaus
--
mit freundlichen Gruessen,
Klaus Muth

HAGOS eG                 Industriestr. 62       fon: (+49) 711 78805-86
EDV-Programmierung       D-70565 Stuttgart      fax: (+49) 711 78805-99
http://www.hagos.de      Germany                mailto:muth@hagos.de