Re: 3c90x drivers

On 1/21/2000 12:27 AM robertt@stargate.cs.swau.edu Robert Thompson wrote:
>Basically, if 'PnP OS'=YES, the bootprom (sleep)s while probing for card.
>If 'PnP OS'=NO, the bootprom finds the card instantly, and continues on
>its way. Just from memory, it appeared that in PnP=YES it detects the
>card, then fails to find it...

Next time you're debugging, could you check the PCI/OnBoard Setup menu
(or whatever your BIOS uses) and see if there is an option called "Reset
PNP Config Data" or "Force Updating ESCD", which defaults to "Disabled"
but if you set it to Enabled will "... clear ESCD data netxt time you
boot up, and ask BIOS to reset the settings for the Plug and Play ISA
card and PCI Card ..."

You could also use a more brute-force approach and remove the CMOS
battery, which would lose your clock and some settings, but would ensure
there's no bogus slot config data.  Hey, what BIOS do you have, anyway?

I can't believe I'm awake at 06:30 poring over old Motherboard manuals
with interest :-)  There's 4-6 inches of snow, and my first consulting
client of the day is at the top of a hill.  I sure hope they have plowed
the snow :-)

Regards,

Marty

---
   Name: Martin D. Connor
US Mail: Entity Cyber, Inc.; P.O. Box 391827; Cambridge, MA 02139; USA
  Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046
  Email: mdc@thinguin.org
    Web: http://www.thinguin.org/