Re: RTL-Poll Error and <sleep> for ever

On 1/15/2000 3:19 PM dirk@goe.net Dirk von Suchodoletz wrote:
>	Im using now the new etherboot 4.4.0, but I have still some
>problems with my rtl8139 based cards: If the machine has not booted, it
>never will be happen until comlete reboot of the computer. It shows the
>message <sleep> on and on and sometimes rtl_poll_error ...  ny ideas?

Is this with an EPROM or a floppy?  What does "size rtl8139.tmp" say?
When you say "If the machine has not booted" do you mean that you turned
the machine on and it failed to boot the first time?  What Config options
are you using?  If you hit ESCAPE during the <sleep>s does it do anything?

To debug the receive timeouts, you can edit the file "rtl8139.c" and
around line 45:

change

   #undef DEBUG_RX

   #define DEBUG_RX

then do "make rtl8139.fd0" to make a test floppy.

This will turn on error message printing that may give a more specific
error. You can similarly also turn on DEBUG_TX to see what's happening
there.

Also, you can run 'tcpdump' in order to see what's going on in the
conversation between the server and client.

If what you're saying is that when you ctrl-alt-delete your workstation
it doesn't do a network boot properly but that you need to do a hardware
reset to get it to do network boot, that could have something to do with
your BIOS.  What kind of machine/BIOS are you talking.  What kind of
rtl8139 card?  Does the same error occur with other cards?  Sorry for so
many questions, but good debugging requires this.

Let us know what you discover.

Regards,

Marty

---
   Name: Martin D. Connor
US Mail: Entity Cyber, Inc.; P.O. Box 391827; Cambridge, MA 02139; USA
  Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046
  Email: mdc@thinguin.org
    Web: http://www.thinguin.org/