Re: 3c905c support needed for etherboot

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Greg Beeley wrote:

> I agree.  3Com's specs for the 90x/905B were quite good, and included quite
> a bit of pseudocode and algorithmic information.  The specs almost seemed
> designed not only to inform but also to *teach* about programming the card :)

Well, in fact, that is what they should be doing, so 3Com is right on the
mark here. Remember, cards have all kinds of fancy features and to take
advantage of them the manufacturers should be teaching driver writers how
to get them to work. After all, it is those fancy features that help sell
the card, and if you can't use them, why bother using that card?

Just as an aside: If you need a tester for the 3c905c stuff, consider me
one of your victims. I've got one, and although I'm not rolling it out in
a netboot role, I feel it's only proper to give back to the community that
gave me my Netbooting FreeBSD on a 3c905x card. :-)

Thanks,
Gerald.