Re: Promless netbooting?

> I'm build a lab of 30 diskless linux workstations and have as yet not
> purchased any hardware.  We would like to avoid buying a $X00 PROM burner,
> individual proms, and the hassle of installing the proms.
>
> Does anyone know of of any network cards with EEprom's that can
> be programmed via software on a pc?
>
> Is it possible to boot linux on the motherboards that support
> boot from LAN?  (I.e. on many new NLX/Micro ATX boards)

Boot from LAN means in most cases Novell Netware. This is not very useful.
But with AWARD bioses you could try with the cbrom.exe tool (its from
AWARD) too add (or to modify, delete the old novell stuff, the anti virus
shit) your etherboot code.

In some cases it worked with my boards fine, but I had to use the "/isa"
feature of the tool.

extract flash content to file bios.bin (awdflash.exe)

cbrom bios.bin /d	(shows the content of your award bios file)
cbrom bios.bin /isa rtl8139.rom D000:0 (adds the rtl8139.rom code to bios
at position D000:0)
cbrom bios.bin /pci release (removes a pci bios extension from bios)

after that flash the bios file into flash rom.

> Any help appreciated, thanks (followup to the list or I'll
> summarize).

So long,
	   Dirk