Re: semi offtopic - EPROMS

On 11/22/1999 12:01 AM micros@azstarnet.com Harry  McGregor wrote:

>I have some eproms that I intend to use for etherboot with both some 3c509
>and some Cnet PRO120B network cards (MX clone of the dec tulip, I will see
>if we can send in that we did to get it to work, I am not the one that
>coded it... I should be able to get Nick to package it up).

This sounds great!  I have an MX clone card I have been trying to get to
work as well, and would be really interested in getting a driver that
works!

>I have six boot proms (from pulls) that I would like to use.  I know (from
>the list) that the 27c256 will work, and is a 256Kbit eprom.

I've used a 27C256 in a 3C509B successfully. It is a 32KByte EPROM.

>The proms are marked MC27C256B and M27256
>I would like to know if the last ones will also work (I have three of
>each, I actualy need about 40, and am working on getting more)

My PROM Programmer, a CHIPMAX from EETools (http://www.eetools.com/)
knows about all the ones you mentioned.  These seem to be really popular
chips, so as long as your programmer understands what voltage and timing
to use when burning them, you should be fine.  Besides, what do you have
to lose, they're pulls :-) Turn-em (erase them) and burn-em (program
them).  Seriously, most programmers have a table inside them listing
chips, and often you can download a new table off the internet for your
programmer to support new models.

-- Marty --

---
        Martin D. Connor, CEO & President, Entity Cyber, Inc.
       US Mail: P.O. Box 391827, Cambridge, MA 02139-0018  USA
   Voice: (617) 491-6935, Fax: (617) 491-7046, Net: mdc@entity.com
                     Web: http://www.entity.com/