forwarded for MarkP@thuringowa.qld.gov.au

Please CC to MarkP@thuringowa.qld.gov.au also as he can't email the list
for some reason.

Ken,

  I'm sending to you because I can't email the list for some reason.
Feel free to forward it on if you can't answer...

  My current situation :

I have older diskless clients (Linux Xterminals) booting on our site
with no problems (/w D-link DE220 [ie. NE2000 compats], netboot, TFTP
and bootp).

Our newer machines use tulip based D-link DFE500TXs (Digital DS21140,
vendor ID 1186, device ID 1100 [info from tulip-diag]) which are giving
me problems.

  Problem description :

  Netboot can load the kernel, but once loaded the Linux kernel cannot
detect the network card.  (I've tried making a Linux boot floppy using
exactly the same kernel and the detection works fine...  the packet
driver seems to be making the cards undetectable).

  Attempted solutions :

*  Using different packet drivers : I've tried both the vendor supplied
driver and the generic digital one that comes with netboot.  These can
both happily load the kernel, but then seem to prevent the kernel from
then detecting the cards.

*  Using explicit packet driver settings : I hoped specifying explicit
settings on the packet driver command-line would help, but it didn't.  I
haven't tried EVERY combination of settings, but I would say I've
covered a fair subset.

*  Using etherboot : Doesn't work...  I understand the tulip driver
isn't complete.  I have had a look at the source, and although I've
experimented a little with basic direct hardware programming before, my
understanding whats required in this case seems too limited to be
immediately useful.

*  Using different Linux network drivers : I've used both the Tulip
driver and the Generic Digital driver.  Both work if booted from floppy
or hard disk, but fail when booted via packet drivers.

  Any more suggestions for things to try would be greatly appreciated.
If required I can give more complete tulip-diag info.  I might also be
able to assist in develloping the etherboot driver if thats required too
ie. testing and PERHAPS some coding (given assistance).

Thanks for your time,

Mark Pavlichuk
PC Support Officer
Thuringowa City Council