Re: New problem with 3c905b and Boot-ROM

>How far does the machine get in the boot process?
>
>Also, what is the number on the card's ASIC (main chip on the card)?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Greg.

The machine does not get far. It passes the POST, then searches for bootable
devices and finds them (even the boot-ROM):

Searching for Boot Record from Floppy..Not Found
Searching for Boot Record from OK

Same messages with working Card+ROM.
But then the machine just hangs.
With netboot I get one more message:

Uncompressing... done

But the reason for this is the faulty ROM mapping I think. But I think this
means, that the code of the ROM is being executed, even with this new card.

Using an older mainboard results in an reboot right after the POST.

Here's the number of the ASIC: 3Com 40-0483-004 9910S 20406437 LUCENT 40-04834

There is one point, that I don't understand at all. I experimented a lot,
crashed different machines and suddenly one of the 12 new cards started working
(and still does on different machines in different slots)!! No idea what
happened, no chance to reproduce.

Ciao Marc

Marc Prager                      .--.
asterius GmbH                   |o_o |