Re: X11 on diskless WS with shared /usr does not start

Hello,

Ken Yap and I diskussed problems with X11 on diskless WS with shared /usr:

">>" means what I have written when I explained my problems to this group
">"  means what Ken replied to me

>>_X11TransSocketUnixconnect: Can't connect: error = 61
>
>This is probably the client trying to connect to unix:0. Is your server
>using Unix sockets for connections? XF86 probably creates the socket in
>/tmp/.X11-unix. Is /tmp world-writable with the sticky bit on?

/tmp is now open worldwide with the the permissions drwxrwxrwT. I had to
redefine the permissions manually because when the root fs for the client
was created I copied all the tree using tar on the tftp-server from a
running installation (WS with a disk). Unsing tar the sticky bit seems get
changed a little. However, now the permissions are as described above.

>Do you have Unix socket support (SysV IPC I think) in your kernel?
I have included SysV IPC support when building the kernel.

>>Error: Can not open "/var/tmp/server-0.xkm" to write keyboard description
>Is that directory writable?

It did not noticed up to this e-mail that even on the running installation
on a WS with a disk (the one which was used as the source for the root fs)
does NOT exist. Only /var/tmp exists on both the root fs for the diskless
client and the running installation.

I also altered the permissions for /var/tmp to drwxrwxrwt but that didn't
help much. If I make an empty directory the error message from above still
remains.
If the directory /var/tmp/server-0.xkm does not exist then one error
message still remains returning about every 5 seconds namely:

_X11TransSocketUnixconnect: Can't connect: error = 61

Even as the user root X11 cannot be started!!

Are there any further suggestions?

Thank You in advance!!

Wolfgang
*