Re: the root filesystem

Wednesday, September 15, 1999, 2:49:33 PM, Raphael wrote:
r> all the required files are here. So, here is my question : how know files
r> required by linux and how configuring them ?

I used the following:

- setup minimal RedHat install;
- copy entire file system to NFS exported dir;
- build kernel according to NFS-Howto (built-in bootp,rarp,NFS,NFS root,
  NIC driver,RAM disk);
- build image for NFS-Root fs:
- boot client while monitoring NFS file requests (by Solaris snoop);

Above trick not only allows to determine the sought files set but
also debug boot process analyzing NFS messages. I found it convenient
to put "read tmp" statements into init scripts for debugging.
Tracking files up until login gives you minimal root file system.
All the other files requested by client (during starting X, Java, Java
client) you could put into server (NT in my case) and mount later
(over SMBFS).

Best regards,
 Pavel                            mailto:ptkatcho@portal.ca