Re: booting diskless(!) linux-pc from WinNT?

> Is there anybody how has any experience in remote-booting a several
> diskless(!) linux-PC´s from a WinNT-Station? I think the main problem will
> be NFS on the WinNT-Machine to supply the clients with their root-directory.

I had something very similar working at one point.  The problem I ran into is
that the NT file system cannot represent the contents of the /dev directory.
Because of that, I couldn't have the linux kernel mount the root over NFS.
What I did instead was create a RAM disk that has the /dev directory and the
bare minimum required to mount NFS.  The RAM disk contents are downloaded with
the linux kernel by etherboot and then the scripts executed by init mount the
rest of the directories needed...

The other problem I had is that the NT versions of tar didn't handle the file
permissions correctly.  To get the files onto NT, I had to set up the NT NFS
server and mount on a full Linux box.  Then I copied the necessary files onto
the NFS directories.  Most good NFS servers will remember the permissions when
set that way...

If you need more help with that, feel free to email me directly.

-Matt