Re: No luck with RTL8139 & Etherboot 4.2

Ken Yap wrote:

> >After some trial & error I got Etherboot to work with my rtl8139 card.
> >>From disk. After some research I got the right eproms and a burner,
> >found how to enable the rom and so on, but this dammed thing now
> >thinks, it has mac address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff when the bootrom is on
> >chard!
>
> Try compiling with all extra options turned off to fit the code into
> 32kB. Also make sure you write the right vendor and device ID into the
> header of the image by editing the Makefile, the BIOS may cross check.
Whew, I got it now! How did I do that?
1. Upgrade to 4.2.6 (fixes the ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff mac address)
2. disable IMAGE_MENU and enable ASK_BOOT (fixes reboot short after
   receiving DHCPOFFER, don't ask me why, trial&error).

BTW, if someone is intrested: AM27C128 works fine as bootprom for a
SOHO-FAST/R (rtl8139) NIC. :)

> You need a UV lamp in a light-tight box, sunlight is too weak, it
> will take weeks or even months. Unless you're under the ozone hole in
> Antarctica. :-)
*sigh* My boss will rip my head off. Another 100$.

klaus
--
mit freundlichen Gruessen,
Klaus Muth

HAGOS eG                 Industriestr. 62       fon: (+49) 711 78805-86
EDV-Programmierung       D-70565 Stuttgart      fax: (+49) 711 78805-99
http://www.hagos.de      Germany                mailto:muth@hagos.de