Re: Motherboard scan ... / Code within ROM-BIOS

>Your motherboard vendor really should have given you a tool to write this
>part of the system FlashPROM. So, before trying anything else, check the
>website for this motherboard and see if you can find anything useful. If
>that doesn't help, then you have to experiment.

It sounds interesting! We tried this way to but not succeeded (yet). We
want to use an all-in-one mainboard (for instance m585lmr from pcchips)
for our campus linux terminals.

We located free space enough (2Mbit Flash) within the BIOS and put our
code into it. It doesnt made any harm to it and the mainboard works fairly
well but nothing happened :-( The BIOS uses compressed images and copies
during startup the bios for the graphic adaptor and the novell boot code
for the lan adaptor (Davicom 10/100Mbit 9102 Chip) into space and
decompresses it. Thats why we couldnt find the 55AA start sequence for
additional code at any place within the rom image.

I should say that the lan adaptor works fine together with its packet
driver and netboot code from floppy. But it has no place to provide a
seperate rom chip for the additional code.

Any ideas how to patch an award bios for this feature or to replace the
unwanted novell code (ipx :-(( ) with netboot code?

Thanks a lot!

  Dirk

PS: Maybe I sent this mail yesterday but couldn't  found it in archive ...