Re: Booting without VGA card

Holger Stegemann writes:
 > I'm booting a diskless client with a NETBOOT floppy.
 > Everything works fine. Now I tried to boot it without
 > a graphics card installed. The floppy seemed to
 > have been read, but the network card never flashed
 > up, so I assume that the netboot code didn't execute.

Did your machine make funny beeping noises when it started? Are these
different from the beeps that you get when a VGA card is plugged in?
It is very likely that the problems you are seeing are related to your
system BIOS and the beeps are its way of trying to tell you. Most
BIOSs have an option where you can tell them to "stop on: no
errors". Otherwise the machine will halt if it cannot initialize the
VGA adapter, keyboard, or other parts of the hardware.

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                         Internet: markus@infoscape.com
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    +1-415-544-4762

Disclaimer: The above message represents my personal opinion; it does
            not constitute an official statement by Infoscape!

PGP signature