TFTP application files

Hi,

We need to boot our diskless single board Linux over the network.

I have some queries regarding Netboot:

(1) Where is compressed OS image TFTPed as part of BootP. Is RAMDISK created and
image is kept in that and then decompressed and loaded in RAM?

(2) We need to bring our application files also to the card. Is it easy enough
to modify the code so that information about required files comes in vendor
specific field of BootP reply and then these application modules are TFTPed
along with the OS image. (Is RAMDISK available at this point?) These
applications can then be executed as part of init. Or is there any better way of
getting application modules to the card and executing them. How is this
generally done in embedded Linux systems?

Any help is appretiated.

Thanks,
Piyush